Solicitors professional indemnity insurance

Whether you’re a large law practice, a freelance solicitor or a sole practitioner, your solicitors’ professional indemnity cover is a critical part of your insurance portfolio strategy.

Professional Indemnity Insurance is mandatory for law firms and having cover in place to deal with claims is vital to protect your business and reassure your clients. It will protect your business if a client alleges negligent acts, errors/omissions/actual negligent acts or offered poor advice.

The Solicitors PI Market is challenging as insurers reduce their appetite and capacity and increase their rates and premiums. ‘General Insurance Brokers’ trying to navigate the market will find it very difficult to get the best outcomes for the clients.

This is not the same for us; for years, as specialist Solicitor Professional Indemnity Insurance Brokers, we access the market via our 62 carefully selected facilities through our insurer partners to benefit our clients of all sizes.



UK-based expert support, online and on the phone. Specific Claims and Risk Management advice, along with technical bulletins are provided throughout the policy period.


Solicitors can use our facility whether a sole practitioner or part of a larger Solicitor practice. MFL is trusted by thousands of Professionals.


Compliant quotations can be obtained by completing the Solicitor proposal form, which has been tailored to the specialist activities and advice of the Solicitor profession.

Your Profession. Covered!

We start by making sure your Professional Indemnity Insurance cover is based on your circumstances and SRA compliant, you can then choose to add on extras that suit you and your risk appetite.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

PI Insurance with levels of cover for Sole Practitioners, and firms with 2 to 25+ Partners

Management Liability Insurance

Financial support for claims made against the company, its senior staff or its Directors’s & Officers’

Protect your office and Equipment

Add our Office Insurance policy to provide cover for business premises and equipment against disasters such as a flood or fire, accidents, acts of vandalism and burglary.

Cyber Cover Insurance

Cyber Cover offers assistance to you and third parties if a Cyber Event occurs.

Trustee Liability Insurance

Provides cover for when your advice is used outside of your Practice.

Fidelity Insurance

Provides cover for loss of money and other property resulting from fraudulent or dishonest acts committed by an employee or volunteer.

Liabilities Insurance

Public and Employers’ Liability Cover. This can come standard with Office Insurance Policies too.

Fleet Insurance

Insurance to keep your vehicles and surveyors on the road.


Your Solicitor Professional
Indemnity Insurance Quote

Why MFL?

We are a specialist insurance broker with a wealth of knowledge to the Solicitor Profession.
We are independent, meaning we have the flexibility to design our services around you, and access the insurer markets we need to deliver competitive insurance regardless of the size of your practice.
Competitive quotations from our insurer partners.
You will have a dedicated team of brokers looking after you, with a support team on hand to deal with any claims and risk management issues you have.
Regular blogs and bulletins which provide updates on market conditions, risk management, claims examples, etc.

Solicitor FAQs

What does solicitors' professional indemnity insurance cover?

Solicitors’ professional indemnity insurance covers claims made against you by a client or third party that alleges negligence, a breach of trust or confidentiality, or defamation. The policy covers the cost of any damages awarded, claimants’ costs and the costs of defending the claim.

What other insurance does a Solicitor need?

The other insurance you need will be based on your circumstances.

  • Looking to close your business, then you may need Run Off Cover.
  • If the Limit of indemnity needs to increase, then you need Excess Layer Insurance.
  • Do you need to cover past works, then we can work with you to put a Retroactive Date on your PI Cover
  • If you have employees, you will need Employers Liability Insurance.
  • Do you have equipment that needs protecting? Then an Office Insurance policy can provide cover for your furniture, IT equipment, technical surveying equipment
  • If you don’t want to be personally liable as a Director, a Directors’ and Officers’ insurance policy covers your defence costs and any compensation you must pay.
Whats the difference between Solicitors Insurance and Lawyer Insurance

There is no difference between them.

Many don’t realise that ‘lawyer’ is much more of an American term than a British one. Here in the UK, ‘lawyer’ is not used to describe a specific role or position within the legal system but instead as an umbrella term covering anyone working as a legal practitioner. Solicitors, barristers, conveyancers, advocates, arbitrators, and chartered legal executives are all types of lawyer. According to the Solicitors Regulation Authority or SRA, ‘lawyer has no defined meaning in UK law’.

Start your quote

Contact our friendly team today to discuss your insurance needs. Whether you call us for a chat or drop us an email. We will aim to respond within 24 working hours.

We look forward to helping you find what you’re looking for.

Opening hours
Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00

Barlow House
Minshull Street
M1 3DZ

Opening hours
Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:00

    * required field

    Before submitting your enquiry please read our Privacy Policy which explains how we handle data.

    Privacy Policy